Tuesday, August 6, 2013

"To Your Left..."

Back in the day when I was a cyclist completed some charity rides, I learned that cyclists have a secret language.  When riding along, you will hear someone behind you calling in the distance "TO YOUR LEFT!!!"  This basically means don't do anything crazy because I'm fixin' to pass yo a$$! 
If you think about it, it's really quite genius...
You have plenty of warning and you don't freak out when they come flying by!

Today, as I freaked out yelling "OOOOHHH GOOOOODDDD!" 
I wondered why runners didn't have this secret language?  As I played this out in my head, I remembered that the ghost runner who appeared behind actually tried to warn me, but because I was jamming to Dave, I didn't really hear her.  See runners are dumb like that.  We run with music blaring in our ears.  I heard something, so I turned and freakishly yelled and then mumbled 
"Sorry! I hate doing that to other runners..." as she flew on by me!

Just last week I came up upon some walkers in the wee morning hours.  Knowing they had not yet heard me coming, I tried to call out gently to give them warning and nearly sent one of them into cardiac arrest! Later it started pouring down rain and those (2) walkers drove by me in the car pointing and laughing at me as I shuffled back home... Not really!  Despite my scarring them, they were oh so kind to offer me a ride home.  

It's good to get to know those on your paths, you don't have to talk but smile and wave and know you are cheering for each other every time you pass them. Oh and warn them if you are running up behind them!

Today's run called for 3 miles and of course I hit snooze at 5:30am, so fortunately I had some free time this afternoon and took in a nice run through the city park.  But it was HUMID!!!
My overall pace was 10:41/min. mile and I got exactly 3 miles in.  I started getting really hot around mile 2 so I made myself slow down and really concentrate on breathing.  I'll have to remember how yuck it was to run in the middle of the day next time I want to hit snooze!

No comments:

Post a Comment